Rules of Use for an Association Law Library
The association law library is open to the legal community and others at the discretion of the library staff for the sole purpose of facilitating legal research and to provide legal information to its users.
In order to provide for the efficient operation of an association law library, the LibraryCo Board of Directors are recommending the following rules of use:
Rules of Use:
Law library patrons shall:
- Abide by the rules and procedures for the use and borrowing of library materials.
- Engage in activities directly related to the use of a law library.
- Respect the rights of other patrons and staff members.
- Supervise accompanying children.
- Maintain quiet.
- Wear appropriate clothing at all times.
- Pay any and all applicable replacement charges for any lost, damaged or unreturned materials.
- Obey the instructions of the library staff.
Law library patrons shall not:
- Remove any materials from the library without receiving authorization or checking them out, as applicable.
- Engage in disruptive actions, such as loud talking or behaving in a manner which can reasonably be expected to disturb.
- Harass or threaten patrons or library staff, either verbally or physically.
- Stare at or follow another patron or library staff member in a manner which is intimidating or can reasonably be expected to disturb.
- Damage or deface law library property.
- Seek legal advice or discuss legal problems with other law library users.
- Obstruct walkways or aisles with books, briefcases, large exhibits or personal belongings.
- Consume food or beverages.
- Use cell phones.
- Bring in animals other than trained guide or service dogs to assist a library user with a disability.
- Engage in an illegal activity.
- Solicit, canvass, sell or distribute circulars or other articles.
Patrons whose actions violate any of these rules will be either asked to leave the association law library or be removed from the law library by courthouse security.
Serious or continued violation of any of these rules may result in a suspension of access to an association law library. These rules are endorsed as guidelines by the LibraryCo Board of Directors for the use at the discretion of county and district law associations.
Approved as amended by the LibraryCo Board of Directors on March 22, 2002.